Diana,

  Thanks for reviving in my mind the idea that poetry can be enjoyed
  even before it is understood. I located the exact quotation -- it is :
  "Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood." I came
  upon a fine elucidation of this idea at the following link -- and
  I'm taking the liberty to reproduce it here.

  Apropos how poetry affects us, I greatly appreciate two observations
  made by Peter -- the need to read between the lines, what he later
  called the mystery of the spaces -- and the need to take into account
  the auditory imagination.

  Regards,

  CR

  http://outofthewoodsnow.blogspot.com/2006/11/excellent-question.html

  That line of Eliot's comes from his long essay on Dante in which he admits to have been "passionately fond of certain French poetry long before I could have translated two verses of it correctly" and that obtaining "an immense amount of knowledge" about Dante before reading him "is positively undesirable". So Ford's contention that "Eliot and Stevens shivered with distaste at the idea of writing poetry that was intelligible to the masses" is a snotty misrepresentation of the meaning of difficulty. Their poetry might puzzle its explicators but it still gives me, a mere reader, immense reading pleasure. Maybe, I think now after reading the review, it's because their poetry contains (and uncontains) that "bursting unity of opposites". One has to read the words - leap aboard the roller coaster of language - to experience those complexities in all their reality. There are few poets who do this. So why are we being constantly warned off?

  The idea that something must be fully comprehended before it can be appreciated flies in the face of one of art's primary functions--to inspire wonder. I believe that anyone could pick up work by "Ezra Pound, Marianne Moore, Wallace Stevens, Hart Crane, William Carlos Williams, Gertrude Stein, and of Eliot himself" and get something out of it. The problem is that most are either too lazy or scared to try...or share this misapprehension of what "difficulty" means.

      Peter, don't you think music is pure affect? It's pre-verbal communication, like a baby's cry. A genius like Eliot can use the non-verbal auditory element of poetry to communicate his meaning before the words are understood. He wrote somewhere that a poem can be understood before the verbal meaning is deciphered -- I forget where but I'm sure you know it. Best, Diana
    What role the auditory imagination?
  P.