robert meyer wrote:

> > Choose: either the poem is a bad poem _or_ an anti-semitic
> > poem. Do you really think Eliot could be this obtuse?
> >
> > Carrol
> >

> A poem about anti-Semitism is not necessarily anti-Semitic in itself.
>
> Robert Meyer

My point is/was that a poet of Eliot's skill should know how to control
his imagery. He should have some minimal sensitivity to objective social
relations within his world. (Of course in his prose he is as
deliberately and obscenely anti-semitic as its possible to be without
belonging to KKK.) Unless he was incredibly insenitive to the context of
the imagery he chose one must assume he chose it because he knew how it
would be understood and wanted it to be so understood. To use such
imagery and not mean it to be anti-semitic is evidence of a tin ear.
Eliot didn't have a tin ear did he?

Carrol