Peter, don't you think music is pure affect? It's pre-verbal communication, like a baby's cry. A genius like Eliot can use the non-verbal auditory element of poetry to communicate his meaning before the words are understood. He wrote somewhere that a poem can be understood before the verbal meaning is deciphered -- I forget where but I'm sure you know it. Best, Diana

What role the auditory imagination?
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Diana Manister
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: The Emotion of Art

Dear CR:

Although I know thoughts and feelings are different, I wonder if free associations one has to words, images and ideas in a poem would be considered to be thoughts or feelings. For example, the Ionian white and gold in the St. Magnus Martyr passage in TWL I associated with the splendour TSE saw in the Western tradition and, since he highlighted that image in a Christian church, I thought or felt he was connecting the two, as if Western secular tradition had an almost sacred glory for him. Now, was I thinking or feeling in making those associations? I do not know! LOL Diana

.