Without Gauloises would there have been Existentialists? Try to imagine Camus without the dangling cigarette. Impossible! Or all the existential heroes who followed him: James Dean, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Humphrey Bogart.

Diana

From:  cr mittal <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Of tobacco trance
Date:  Thu, 1 Feb 2007 06:36:55 -0800

Of dark truth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauloises

Traditional Gauloises were short, wide, unfiltered and made with dark tobaccos from Syria and Turkey which gave off a strong and distinctive smell. Some non-smokers compared this to burning tar or the smoke of what King James VI of Scotland (and I of England), in A Counterblast to Tobacco, called "that pit which is bottomless".

-----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6032125.stm

Passive
smoking kills about 13 people a day in France, Mr de Villepin said, calling the situation "unacceptable".
Mr de Villepin made the announcement in a television interview.
"We started on the basis of a simple observation - two figures: 60,000 deaths a year in our country linked directly to tobacco consumption and 5,000 deaths linked to passive smoking.
"It is an unacceptable reality in our country in terms of public health," he said.

Opinion polls in France - often considered a nation of smokers - suggest 70% of the people support the ban, says the BBC's Valerie Jones in Paris.
The European Union's most enthusiastic smokers are in Greece, Cyprus and Portugal, according to findings published in May this year.

-----

The figures are daunting, and the facts grim :(

Between the idea / And the reality...

Falls the Shadow

     For Thine is

     Life is

     For Thine is the

~ CR

David Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

And see

- even smelly old Galouises in French cafes now on hit list - can't imagine the peasants of rural France will approve at all !

- not sure what's happening in other EU countries - the Danes for example seem very fond indeed of their fags - which is not what one would expect in an otherwise very sophisticated / highly educated nation.......

Regards

David

Get in the mood for Valentine's Day. View photos, recipes and more on your Live.com page.