Carrol, another question is why great writers provoke such sharp disagreement among themselves. Eliot was no great fan of Milton's, for one. Diana

From:  Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Poetry and Intuition
Date:  Fri, 23 Feb 2007 23:22:47 -0600
"Great artists shape and massage their audiences and their emotions and
perceptions at will." P.

Then why do so many 'great writers' provoke such sharp disagreement
among their readers? I'm thinking in particular of my four favorite
writers: Milton, Pope, Austen, Pound. Empson, and recently a number of
other critics, have (for example) argued that Milton is so good because
his God is so bad! While others read Milton for the same reasons that
Ken reads Eliot!

Carrol

Win a Zune™—make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win!