Sussing out the tastes of subsequent generations I think exceeds the capabilities of empathy with one's audience and requires of a poet who would do so the powers of a Madame Sosostris. Diana

There are certain writers, and Eliot is certainly among them, who believed, or hoped, or even expected, that their works would be read not only by the world in which they lived, but by the generations to follow.

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: Here is no prophet and no great matter

Diana Manister wrote:

> Carrol your point is well taken. However it's undeniable that in
> England at the time Eliot was writing, the audience for poetry was
> fairly predictable, and their tastes were well-known to him.

I doubt it. Could you offer evidence. Given the shock that TWL caused I
would think the case would be exactly the opposite. Eliot had no idea
what audience he might be writing for -- and there was no way that he
could have had. Cetrainly he could not have expected the rather esoteric
& purely personal construals you offer of individual phrases out of
context.

Carrol

Win a Zune™—make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win!