Kate, I'm with you. While it is true that Eliot was anti-Semitic in a manner common in his day, he thereby fed a a pernicious trend which made greater inhumanity possible if not permissible. Diana

From: Kate Troy <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Eliot and Anti-Semitism from the London Review of Books
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:45:11 EST

Robert, of course, is correct, in that a poem about anti-Semitism is not anti-semitic in itself.  Hell, a poem with anti-Jewish rhetoric may not even be aimed at or about Jews, i.e. Sylvia Plath. Yet, Eliot was of the generation where some people really believed that Jews wanted to take over the world and that Jews controlled all of the banks, etc.  Now, of course, some people believe that America wants to take over the world with the help, of course, of the great Zionist lion.  I have a difficult time understanding how any intelligent person could believe that another person is inferior or evil based on that person's ethnic or religious heritage.  Too absurd.