Marcia I reserve my right to disagree with others' opinions and explain mine.  It was not mentioned that "Crucifixion" is a word that can be used literally and figurately and I see no bullying in my making that explicit by illustrating that, however inadequately. Diana

From: Marcia Karp <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Eliot and Anti-Semitism from the London Review of Books
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:19:11 -0500

One needn't agree with Tom to entertain his suggestion with more imaginative understanding than what follows.

Diana Manister wrote:

Tom,

What does TSE suggest when he writes "way?" Bleistein is not on the cross, he is alive and ambulatory.
Doesn't this description imply the way Bleistein carries himself, in an imitation of Christ's crucifixion, caused by a martyr complex or self-pity? "Saggy" is not a term of admiration -- sounds like a reference to impotence. A pious description of a crucified Christ would use loftier diction. Diana

But this or such was Bleistein's way:
A saggy bending of the knees
And elbows, with the palms turned out

Sounds like a crucifixion image to me.

-- Tom --

To begin with, Tom doesn't say pious or admirable, so why judge his idea by that standard?
You, in fact, take up Tom's claim that this is a crucifixion image, so why on earth do you have to bully him?  Disagree all you want, modify, reject, embellish, but please, you are turning this forum into something we've consistently fought against.

MK