Edge's story gives me the chills. Some members of this list may remember a
November field trip to Lyon State Lake in which a fearless (read foolish)
leader totaled his Camry trying to ford a stream whose depth had increased
due to a recent rain. As with the car in which Edge was riding, mine came to
rest in the middle of the stream. Unlike Edge's experience, I did not have
waterproof boots, and there was no getting the car out without a tow truck.
The water was awfully cold when we got out and waded to shore, and we
remained miserable until the residents of a nearby farm house took us in
while we waited for the tow truck to arrive. I shudder to think what our
experience would have been like had it been a cold day in January instead of
a cold day in November, had there not been another car in our caravan and/or
had there been no farm house for miles.

I'm glad Edge et al made it out OK. It could have been much much worse!

BTW, some birders never learn. I have three other car-stuck stories to tell,
including two before I totaled the Camry and one afterwards.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri