 A reminder to birders that the 2007 ABA International Conference will be
held in Quito, the capital city of Ecuador, in September.   The company
handling this conference for the ABA is Tropical Birding, which is based in
Quito.  We have had excellent experience with this company (5 trips with
them) and can say that attendees should expect a first class operation.
The birding in Ecuador is fantastic.  Obtaining 200 life birds during this
conference is not out of the question.

John Solodar      (I add the usual disclaimer that I am getting no financial
gain from this reminder, etc.  This note is to help ABA and the flow of
funds that should accrue to local conservation efforts in Ecuador.)

To quote from the organizers:

"This is the first time this event will take place in South America.
Everyone will stay at the same hotel in Quito (the Dann Carlton, very nice),
while taking day trips each day to various sites in the Andes. The day trips
will be: Antisana (dry high-elevation plateau with condors), Papallacta
(eastern temperate forest and moist paramo with seedsnipe), Yanacocha
(temperate forest west of Quito, think mountain-tanagers), Tandayapa
(out-of-control hummer feeders in the western subtropics), and Milpe (super
diverse Choco foothill forest). Because some of the birding will be on
forest trails, the groups will be small, with about 8 people to each leader.
The guides are world-class, and hopefully all participants will get the
experience of a short birding tour, but with the added bonus of top-notch
speakers each night. There is also a non-birding track, with cultural day
trips for non-birding companions and spouses. Non-birders will visit
Tandayapa and Antisana as well. Could this be the perfect birding
conference?

  There is a big conservation connection that we're very excited about too.
A portion of each registration fee will go toward local conservation,
supporting land purchase around the existing Milpe Bird Sanctuary (Mindo
Cloudforest Foundation) and Yanacocha Reserve (Jocotoco Foundation). Both of
these are locations we will visit on day trips during the conference, so
everyone can see the areas they are supporting. Swarovski has made an
up-front commitment of support, and the event should generate over $50,000
in total for local conservation. Awesome!

Here's the website you can check out for more information and registration
forms: http://www.americanbirding.org/mtgs/conferences/2007quito/. The
conference registration is actually going very well, and we've already got
around 140 people."

The attendance limit is 230 people.

John Solodar