Ahh, the joys of winter birding.

I joined Bill Clark and Denny Donnell this morning for Bill's weekly
CACHE trip.

8 degrees.  Ice-covered roads in conservation areas. As Jean did for
the Bradford survey, I wore clothes purchased long ago for a northern
Minnesota trip and worn on only "special" occasions since.

And I'm very glad that I did.  The adventures today included one ford
in Prairie Home CA.  The water was about 6 inches deep--piece of
cake.  But the slab of ice over it was about 1.5-2 inches--not a
piece of cake for a front-wheel drive sedan.  The car dug in, doing
fine until we reached the middle.  At that point the power wheels
were sitting on the slab ice, spinning merrily in the sparkling light
of a January morning.

This now becomes an endorsement for SNO-SEAL (applied to leather
boots) and crinkly, plastic lined mittens.  Wearing same, I was able
to remove slabs of ice that the car broke off as Bill reversed,
surged forward, reversed while I tossed ice slabs aside, surged
forward, broke more ice slabs, and reversed to renew the cycle.  In
relatively short order we had removed enough ice to give traction on
the creek gravel for enough distance to complete the crossing.

Great fun!

We visited 5 conservation sites today.  Among the birds seen were an
adult Bald Eagle cruising low, a great look at a male Rough-legged
Hawk, some Northern Harriers apparently "taking inventory" as they
worked over areas, but made no attempt to go after other birds.

We had good numbers of American Tree Sparrows and juncos.  Fox
Sparrows were at two locations; other sparrows made appearances.

Full reports on CACHE later.

Bodacious birding,

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO