The following piece, which I got from the Oklahoma list, is relevant to our
recent discussion of  the possible expansion of Hermit Thrush's winter range
into Missouri.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070131/sc_nm/climate_fieldguides_dc_3

The piece discusses bird range changes and suggests that northward movement
of the ranges of Northern Cardinal, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Tufted Titmouse,
American Robin and Eastern Bluebird may be due more to bird feeding and
other environmental factors present in suburban habitats than to climate
change or global warming.

I have a hard time seeing why such changes in the human environment would be
responsible for northward movement of Hermit Thrushes, which do not visit
bird feeders often. Perhaps they survive better in certain human plantings,
but I'm skeptical of that.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri