On the subject of Squirrels/Red-Tail Hawks check out the link below for a picture I took in 2004 of a Red Tail-Hawk chowing down on a RED Squirrel in the neighbor's yard.
  You cannot see much of the Squirrel as it was hidden in the grass...there is a "bit/bite" of said Squirrel on the hawk's beak.
  We haven't seen the Red-Tail for  quite some time...where-oh-where is he when we need him? We have had 11 of these fuzzy tailed critters in our yard since the heavy snow arrived.
  They are fun to watch but sure play havoc with the bird feed bill.

  Probably will need to copy and paste to get this.
  http://mobirds.org/Galleries/images/FCramer/Red-tailed_Hawk.jpg

  LATE POST (Jan 17 before our big snow) BUT MAY BE OF INTEREST.

    Today on our way home from filling the bird feeders at the Bean Lake cabin, Georgia and I stopped by Lewis & Clark lake near Rushville, MO..
  At the picnic shelter house area there were 2 bubblers working.
  Many Canada geese, mallards etc....but one "odd" guy stood out.
  I believe it might be 1st year TRUMPETER SWAN. Bad light and no scope with me.
  Gray in color, lighter on the breast, darker on the back. Black legs/feet/bill. Bill had just a hint of orange on top as best I could tell in the bad (cloudy) light.
  No neck collar or leg bands.

  We were only at the cabin for maybe 3 hours but had 21 species there including:
  Downy wpkr., Red Belly wpkr., y.s. Flicker, wb Nuthatch, GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLET,
  Cardinal, Robin, de Junco, Blue Jay, 2 Carolina Wrens,  5+ E. Bluebirds, Tufted Titmouse, Snow Geese, BC Chickadee, Tree Sparrows, White Crowned Sparrows, Red Wing Blackbird, Starlings, Red Tail Hawk and many Meadow Larks (e or w?) in field on way in.
  Our Red Headed Woodpecker ( usually seen in wooded area north west of cabin
  along the road) did not show. Have had juvenile Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, also a no-show today.

  For the last 4 days we have had an adult Yellow B. Sapsucker here in town.
  Quite a difference between the juvenite and adult.
  Please excuse spelling, etc....in a hurry.

  Frances Cramer
  St. Joseph, MO

  P.S. On Sat. AM Jan. the  j. T. Swan was still at L&C lake.