Been an interesting bird week in central Jefferson County.  We saw a Winter
Wren on our road a few days ago, and for the last week we have had an
Oregon Junco mixed in with our regular assortment of Slate-Colored Juncos.
Other visitors include a lone male Purple Finch and a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker.
We also have a Pileated Woodpecker coming to our suet feeders, one of which
is situated only 10 feet from the kitchen window.  Best look we've ever had at
a pileated...also rifles through the suet at an alarming rate.

But the bird of birds for us this last week has to be the Ruffed Grouse we
jumped in our woods on Saturday...probably by far the most unexpected of
the 144 species on our yard list.  The bird fanned its tail out as it flew away
giving us a really good look at the band on the tail.  My wife has a lot of
experience with this species from her many years in Eastern Kentucky, but this
is only the second one we've seen in Missouri.

Anyway....though maybe we should post this sighting.

Tom and Lynda Mills
Hillsboro
Jefferson County