I spent a couple of hours at Prairie Lee Lake, Lake Jacomo and Blue Springs
Lake (plus the Audubon library) this afternoon.

Prairie Lee is about half open. It (like Jacomo) was covered with large
numbers of migrant Canada Geese. I was able to find a Cackling Goose fairly
easily. I also got a good look at one female Greater Scaup. Also, Hooded
Mergansers, Mallards and Gadwall.

The most intriguing bird at Prairie Lee was a small brown duck with the
white thigh patch of a Blue-winged Teal. I was viewing the lake through
branches with a window-mounted scope from my car parked on the north side.
(Unfortunately, the installation of a pond where the parking lot used to be
has left very little area from which to view the lake from that side).  I
tried to reposition the car to get a look at the duck's head and could not
re-find it. If anyone sees a Blue-winged Teal at Prairie Lee Lake, please
post it. Otherwise, I'm not counting it.

The south end of Jacomo, including the marina and swimming beach areas, was
completely frozen, and the open water could only be scoped from a pretty
good distance. I was able to pick out a male Ruddy Duck, which had already
acquired his ruddy color, plus Am. Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Common Merganser,
Hooded Mergansers and quite a few Scaup, which appeared to be Greaters.

I picked up a nice Brown Creeper, a very pretty White-throated Sparrow and a
Song Sparrow along with the usual suspects at the BAS library.

While at the library, Ann told me that 8 swans had been seen at Lake
Tapawingo. I completely circled Lake Tapawingo, but could not find the
swans. Lake Tapawingo is half frozen and very difficult to bird because it
is rimmed wall to wall with houses. It is possible that the swans are still
there, but I think it is more likely that they have moved on.

The gull roost is on Blue Springs lake, but too far away to ID zooties. I
did see at least one Herring Gull with the Ring-billeds. I also saw about
100 Hooded Mergansers, plus more Goldeneye and Common Mergansers, Mallards
and Gadwall on Blue Springs Lake.

I ended with 39 species, not bad for about 2.5 hours in January.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri