Yesterday (Thursday), Joyce Bathke and I drove to St. Louis to view
the winter-plumaged Western Tanager.

WOW!

"Laddie" is a stunning bird.  He is fun to watch as he keeps the
larger male Northern Cardinals and even Blue Jays at bay--it's o.k.
for them to be on the same feeder, but he doesn't tolerate their
attempts to push him off.

We had "ringside" views of a well-arranged array of feeders in a
backyard graced with a couple of Blue Spruce--perhaps the feature
that attracted this western bird.

Our hosts are delightful folks who are very pleased to share their
treasure and their experiences with its discovery and documentation
[I'd love to have watched Paul Bauer as he got the first look at the
first-ever photos of a Western Tanager in Missouri, and then waited
for the bird to show at the feeder!].

We ran into the WGNSS Thursday crowd at Riverlands.  They were still
smiling and chortling over their viewing of Laddie just after Joyce
and I left.  It was good to see those smiling faces.

If you wish to see this bird, call Josh Uffman for the contact info,
make the call and schedule your visit.  The hosts feed a lot of
birds; a gift of seed will be put to good use.  The tanager seems to
prefer black oil sunflower seeds.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO