Rose Ann Bodman and I headed for Baldwin Lake in Illinois arriving about noon.

  Within about 15 minutes we had seen five goose species, beginning with Canada, a few Snows, uncountable domestic hybrids, and a beautiful lone Ross' in the boat launch parking lot area.  They were feeding on corn cobs tossed in the "infield".  From the main road we added at least 35 Greater White-fronted and at least 6 Cacklers resting and feeding with about 100 Canadas in the grass between the road and the lake.

  At Peabody between 3 and 4pm, we saw a Bluejay, 4-6 E Bluebirds, American Tree Sparrow, a single Pied-billed Grebe, several Red-tailed Hawks, 4 N Harriers playing tag above the Short-eared Owl area (but no owls), a near-adult male N Harrier near the entrance, and a few Ring-billed Gulls.  We looked for shrike, but no luck.g

  Other birds seen during the day were several Am Kestrels, Am Crows, Mourning Doves, Rock Pigeons, a few Horned Larks, Mallards, and big flights of blackbird types incl Eur Starlings

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County