The website that Patrick linked to was very helpful. Though most people
who replied to me came in undecided, having seen those photos (of a
Loggerhead with some "abnormal" field marks that one might typically
associate with Northerns), I can say that the bird I saw was a
Loggerhead Shrike.  It showed a larger, hooked bill like the one in the
photos, and the black mask did not meet over the bill.  These field
marks (along with a perception of larger size) were the reason I was
pretty sure I had a Northern. I'd suggest looking at the website, found
below.  I'm guessing it's been a topic of discussion/contention
elsewhere too.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/loggerhd.htm

Notably missing were a white line/gap between the face mask and the
gray cap and a pale lower mandible, and the shape of the head/body
really suggests Loggerhead.  I cannot remember whether or not the bird
had any barring on the chest (it was a quick look and did not have time
to consult a field guide in between looks, as I had left it back in the
car).

One of these days I'll find a real rarity and not some look-alike that
fools me! ;-)  Although a Loggerhead isn't a bad bird for northern MO
this time of year.  Thanks to those who replied with comments.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair Co.

Phil Wire wrote:

>I went birding at Union Ridge CA today in Adair/Sullivan counties and
>on my way back home I found a bird that I think is a Northern Shrike.
>I only viewed the bird for about a minute, but I was able to get some
>digiscopes.  I put them up here:
>
>http://www.xanga.com/PhilsBirdingBlog
>
>I'm interested in feedback as to what people believe the bird is.  The
>second photo, to me, really seems to suggest Northern Shrike. I am just
>not familiar enough with Northern Shrikes to say for sure. The bird was
>seen at the intersection of Highway D and Maryland Road about 1 mile
>south of Union Ridge CA.
>
>Also of note was a MERLIN at the conservation area.
>
>Phil Wire
>Kirksville, MO

>Phil Wire
>Truman State University

>* To access the Audubon Society of Missouri Web           *
>* Site:  http://mobirds.org                               *

Phil Wire
Truman State University