Several days before the ice and snow, my husband pulled some pine branches
and tree limbs close to our feeders in our wind-swept back yard. He said the
juncos were practically landing on the branches before he turned to leave.
Two days ago, two juncos slammed into our deck window and died. We looked
out to see a large hawk standing on the small brush pile reaching down with
outstretched talons. He seemed frustrated and jumped on the ground and tried
to reach under the branches. I tried to make it a N.Goshawk since it was so
big. But the very long tail, fine streaking on breast, sparse streaks on
lower breast, snow white undertail coverts, and other markings made it a
Cooper's Hawk, a juvenile female, I assume because of size. She flew to a
fence row and hung around for a while, but haven't seen her since.
>From what I've read about the carnivorous squirrels, guess we should have
thrown the juncos out for the squirrels, but I couldn't do that.

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay