We really are fortunate to have such an excellent zoo here in St Louis.Not
only with the excellent displays they offer but the great programs they
undertake in species conservation.
 They now have 2 HORNED GUANS  on display which if ya knew the  status of
this very rare endemic bird of the mts of  southern Chiapas Mexico and northern
Guatamala is basically mind-blowing  !!!! .Have personally  hiked into and
searched for this bird in the  mts of  Chiapas and will again next month.Except
for the  cloud forest  sections like El Triunfo and other  extremely hard to get
to areas  this bird is vanishing all too quickly from most of its
habitat.More reason why  I was completely floored to hear the zoo had 2 of these birds
now on display  !!!
 With the slow winter birding doldrums here I strongly encourage  people to
go check out these fantastic critters .This really is an ausome  opportunity
the St Louis  Zoo is offering up!
 There are alot of endemic birds in the world but this is one of those  many
people may never have a chance to see do their  remaining  low numbers and the
unique and hard to get to areas where they  live
 .As inaccesible the cloud forests of Mexico and many pristine areas  of the
world seem to be unfortunately they never seem to be far  enough away from the
machete,ax and chainsaw
 Again,Big time KUDOS to the St Louis Zoo for its Horned Guan  conservation
program!!!
-Mike Brady