I made a mourning visit to Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City, MO, this morning and found fifteen (15) species of waterfowl. Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Ross's Goose, Cackling Goose, Canada Goose, Tundra Swan, Trumpeter Swan, Gadwall, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Canvasback, Common Goldeneye, Hooded Merganser and Common Merganser.

  There were several Great Blue Herons, many Bald Eagles (over 100, probably close to 200).

  Along with the regular "dickey" birds I found Brown Creeper, Winter Wren and Golden-crowned Kinglet.

  The sparrows I saw were American Tree, Song, Swamp, White-throated and then the "Snow Birds" (Dark-eyed Junco) hearalding the coming blast of winter.

  At the small cattle feeding facility just south of Squaw Creek NWR on Highway 111, I found Great-tailed Grackle and Brown-headed Cowbird in with the flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds and European Starlings. Nearbly were Eastern Meadowlarks.

  There are now bird feeders at the headquarters (with bird seed in them)! I was hoping for some of the winter finches but only the expected regulars were coming to the feeders when I was there. Tommie Rogers had reported Purple Finch earlier, but they did not put in an appearance.

  Good Birding to All,

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County