Thank you, Bob Fisher, for your words of encouragement to "go see" the Iowa
redpoll. It's a three hour trip from Kearney, easy (when your spouse drives)
to get to from I-35N, west on Hwy. 6, north on R 16 (toward Dallas Center),
then left on a gravel road, Palo Circle, continue straight ahead on the
Brenton Arboretum entrance road, cross a small road bridge, park, walk east
on a grass path to wooden bridge surrounded with Alder trees full of catkins
and "cones". We were there in the 26 degrees, 25 mph winds from just before
9:00 until the bird popped into sight about 10:20. We had to warm up in the
car once. The bird fed on the ground, fed in three different alder trees,
turned upside down, showing white undertail converts. First impression was
very light-colored, fluffy grayish bird with red cap and black chin, small
yellowish beak, pink flush on breast, plain rump. Beautiful. The experts
will make a decision; I'm not qualified, but left to my own call, it will be
my Hoary Redpoll lifer until a perfect one comes along. I  wore my
binoculars and Harriett took her birdbook into the SmokeHouse restaurant
where the three of us ate lunch (the pulled pork sandwich was delicious) in
Dallas Center.

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay Co.