Not too make thIngs more complicated but when it comes to redpolls one  can
be opening a birding can of worms known as the "redpoll  complex"
 Some recognize only 1 species of redpoll some folk think there are as  many
as 7
  Right now I think there are 4 or 5 subs of common and at least 2 of  Hoary
  All redpolls show extensive plumage, size, and  vocal variability   and
hybridization between common and hoary  is fairly common.
 In many borderline id scenarios alot of birders will convince  themselves
that its a certain bird due to what they need or want  it to  be.Havent seen
pics of the bird so am not myself saying wether its a common  or hoary
 Think the best idea would be to collect the Iowa bird to  get a positive ID
(though we all know what "birder can of worms" that would  open)

-Mike Brady