In an attempt to alleviate lingering effects of the annual flu bug, I decided to get out and bird a couple of hours around the Lake Contrary area, south Saint Joseph. There were several Cackling Geese in with the numerous Canadas, also a few Mallards, a lingering Green-winged Teal, one Redhead and three Canvasbacks. Scanning the flock of gulls (200) sitting on the ice and flying over the lake, I could only find Ring-billed. Several Bald Eagles, both adults and subadults were around the lake.

  The Eurasian Collared-Doves continue to be seen at the Saint Joseph Stockyards. Also there today was a flock of around 500 Great-tailed Grackles, eating, bathing in a rain puddle and preening.

  One Loggerhead Shrike was seen perched on a utility wire near the bridge over Contrary Creek.

  Surprisingly, I did not see any other sparrows other than Song Sparrow. I have no idea where the usually numerous American Tree Sparrows might have been!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County
http://mail.yahoo.com