I went to the large animal enclosure on the east side of Jacomo today to
check out the crossbill situation. No crossbills.

There are a few pine trees with cones near the parking lot, but I don't
believe there are enough cones there to hold crossbills very long. I scanned
from my car with binoculars and did not see any evidence of flaked pine
cones.

My guess is that they were either just passing through the other day or they
are shuttling between several pine groves.

Crossbills often move around. Years ago, before the pines north of the
swimming beach were drastically thinned out by the Park Dept.,  I chanced to
find a sizeable flock of crossbills twice -- in those and in a grove of
tall pines on Phelps Road  2-3 miles away. I'm reasonably sure it was the
same flock. If so, they were shuttling quite a distance between two pine
groves.

There are quite a few pine groves around Jacomo, but they do not all have
cones. The best grove that I know of to look for crossbills around Jacomo is
probably the onr opposite what used to be Shelter 5 -- not far from the BAS
library.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri