I don't think this has made it onto MoBirds yet -- Check out the link
below. (I have always suspected that I consistently underestimate
large flocks in the field, and this game backed up that theory.)

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)

---

Back in October, Chuck Otte posted a link to a great little Java
applet that simulates flocks of birds flying by so that you can hone
your speed-counting skills.  (It reminds me of the scene in "Rain
Man" when Raymond counts a whole box of toothpicks as they fall to
the floor - except that the toothpicks keep moving and quickly
disappear.)  The instructions were in Danish, I believe, but it was
easy to figure out how to use it, and I think it's a terrific tool
for improving your perception of flock sizes.  So, with Christmas
Count season fast approaching, I took a couple of minutes and tracked
down the code, modified the interface slightly, and posted it here
(in English) for the benefit of KSBIRDers:

http://staff.jccc.edu/dseibel/birds/birdcount.htm

Note that I also included a link to an online version of the game
that allows you to post your best scores.  It is humbling and
impressive to look at the score list.  (I wonder, in fact, if Ray
Winstead is really Raymond....)  Remember that the commas in the
scores are decimal points, and that the total score is the SUM of all
five error percentages!

David Seibel