Conscious focus on something, eliminates focus on the surrounding
processes, otherwise one would be aware only of the chaos of all the
passing processes and surrounding grounds. There would be no figure.

I'm not sure that there is a diffference between common consciousnerss
and so-called higher consciousness. They may have qualitative variety, but
structurally I think they are the same.

Obviously consciousness can be developed, as can bodily operations.
A highly developed consciousness has greater capacity and functionality.
Still I am very suspicious of any kind of elitism attached to so-called
higher consciousness. Hesse's SIDDHARTHA shows the faults of so-called
higher consciousness.

  "As my conception of ahimsa went on maturing, I became more vigilant
   about my thought and speech. The lines in the Anthem:
       Scatter her enemies
       And make them fall;
       Confound their policies,
       Frustrate their knavish tricks
   particularly jarred upon my sentiments of Ahimsa."
   M.K. Gandhi; The Story of My Experiments With Truth; 1927.
A muscle, whether highly developed or not, is still basically a muscle.

A child's perception of something in the world has a purity and directness
that, I think, no amount of developpment can achieve. It is very noticeable
that children spend little time in time. :)

Cheers,
Peter