  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 9:38 AM
  Subject: Eliot's Indic Studies

  I see that no one will venture to interpret the line "to be conscious in not to be in time." What could he have meant? It all depends on what Eliot meant by "conscious." He says that the moments in the rose-garden, etc. are "in time," so those moments are not conscious, by his own definition.

  But only in time can the moment in the rose-garden,
  The moment in the arbour where the rain beat,
  The moment in the draughty church at smokefall
  Be remembered; involved with past and future.
  Only through time time is conquered.

  No one will make a stab at interpreting what he means by conscious? I myself am quite at a loss. Diana