Vishvesh,

Thanks for sharing this beautiful quotation (who wrote this?) --
a wonderful expression of the mystical experience. Yes, it does
certainly resemble Eliot's. As you know, all mystical experience
is at heart the same -- an experience of the Absolute. The aspects
of the experience -- ineffable peace, tranquility, bliss etc. -- are
more or less the same though each expression of it is unique.

Let me quote the poem 'Silence' from 'Inventions of the March Hare' :

--------------------------------

Silence

Along the city streets
It is still high tide,
Yet the garrulous waves of life
Shrink and divide
With a thousand incidents
Vexed and debated:--
This is the hour for which we waited --

This is the ultimate hour
When life is justified.
The seas of experience
That were so broad and deep,
So immediate and steep,
Are suddenly still.
You may say what you will,
At such peace I am terrified.
There is nothing else beside.

--------------------------------

~ CR

Vishvesh Obla <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
CR,

That was an interesting quote (of Eliot's mystical experience).  I would love to read his 'Silence' if it was available.

Do you think Eliot's experience could be related to this poem:

'All is abolished but the mute Alone.
The mind from thought released, the heart from grief,
Grow inexistent now beyond belief;
There is no I, no Nature, known-unknown.
The city, a shadow picture without tone,
Floats, quivers unreal; forms without relief
Flow, a cinema's vacant shapes; like a reef
Foundering in shoreless gulfs the world is done.

Only the illimitable Permanent
Is here. A Peace stupendous, featureless, still.
Replaces all, - what once was I, in It
A silent unnamed emptiness content
Either to fade in the Unknowable
Or thrill with the luminous seas of the Infinite.'