  From: cr mittal
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 8:02 AM
  Subject: Re: Eliot's Indic Studies

  Absolutely, all in a hedgerow, Peter.

  Your reference to the numinal world brings me to the following link.
  Not that it relates exactly to the subject in hand but yes it does, in
  a way: http://www.numinism.net/pakupaku/index.php?page=Whatisit
  Things relate to things and bring them under one sphere.

  Yesterday, Ken's query about "samsaara" (the phenomenal world)
  and "nirvaana" (Buddhist liberation from the sufferings of this world)
  got me bemused about the paradoxical way in which the two are one.
  Ken had wanted me to explain these terms -- roughly.
  So here's my view of it.

  Buddha realized that the world (samsaara) is a place of suffering.
  The way to freedom (nirvaana) from suffering lies not in escape
  from the world to some solitary retreat but by living in this world
  and cultivating a right mode of life. His main stress is on right
  thought and right conduct. Evil thoughts, as well as evil deeds,
  bring suffering. Good thoughts, as well as good deeds, bring
  happiness.

  I too am reminded of Eliot's "still point" where one is,
  paradoxically, in motion and not in motion, one is
  part of the world and yet apart from it.

  The crux of Hindu philosophy (in the Bhagavad Gita) is
  its emphasis on "righteous action" as well as a state of
  detachment from both joys and sorrows.

  I'm reminded of the Christian emphasis on good deeds:
  "Everyman, I shall go with thee."

  It is only by passing through the fire of this world
  that one gets purified. The hell, the purgatory, and
  the paradise are metaphoric territories of human mind --
  in the here and the now.

  Sounds like timeless sermons. But that's part of
  Eliot's "tradition" I suppose :)

  Regards.

  ~ CR

          All in a hedgerow.

  Then there is the numinal world, and access(attachment) to it at the still point.