Dear David,

By quoting these most luminous lines from St. Paul you have,
indeed, redeemed the discussion. The reference to that quite
sublime and inspirational composition, "To My Wife", was
brought in by none other than our learned Diana Manister.
Kudos to her :)

Regards.

~ CR

David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Haven't been following all these exceedingly interesting  posts very closely - sorry for my inattention ! - but the ref. [CR's?] in one of them to TSE's IMHO quite sublime 'to my wife'  poem clanged many bells, as regards that which I think TSE, towards the end of his most accomplished life, came fully  to experience, on emotional as well as intellectual planes, and to comprehend and completely to affirm and I do think much is condensed in the following, but  I'd be most interested in views / comments as to whether it's maybe a pantheistic or religously-transcendental experience, but I do most fervently believe that one has to have been there personally in order completely to understand all the following [just one way of putting it, after all !!]........ :-

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love,
I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains,
but have not love, I am nothing.
If I give away all I have,
and if I deliver my body to be burned,
but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient,
love is kind;
love is not jealous or boastful;
it is not arrogant or rude.
Love does not insist on its own way;
it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends.

As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease;
as for knowledge, it will pass away.
For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect;
but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away.
When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child;
when I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face.
Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully,
even as I have been fully understood.
So faith, hope, love abide, these three;
but the greatest of these is love.
First Letter of St. Paul to the Corinthians 13:1-13