Diana,

  Your point of view does not explain the passage about "the still point"
  I quoted, especially the terms which I have emphasized. Could you
  please look up the passage again. There, it is not Christ but "we"
  who have been there at the still point etc.

  I can only say, there we have been: but I cannot say where.
And I cannot say, how long, for that is to place it in time.

  ~ CR

        CR wrote:
  "Incidentally, "to be conscious is not to be in time" does not imply the state
  of human soul without body -- it's an experience that saints have while living
  this life in time -- they are both in time and out of time. That is why this mystic
  moment is at the cross-section of time and eternity. TS Eliot recalls
  a fleeting experience of this "timeless moment" which is available to saints
  and sages at all times -- a state of detachment from earthly joys and sorrows,
  a state of detached action, and they enjoy all the attributes of this state while
  physically alive."

  Dear CR:  I understand that Indic mysticism reconciles body and spirit, but in Christianity there is a dichotomy if not an opposition of the two, except in the person of Christ. The Incarnation is the cental doctrine of Christianity, when timeless bodiless divinity becomes flesh in time. Eliot recognizes the duality by distinguishing between being in time and not being in time -- "to be conscious" seems to mean "to be spirit without a body" since it is a state of not being in time, and body is always in time.

  In the Wordsworth passage Vishvesh posted, he posits a bodiless state of pure spirit before birth, which actually seems to be defiled by incarnating as flesh. This is a strange almost un-Christian vision, except as it maintains the separation of matter/spirit. As I mentioned, the strong Neoplatonism of Christian mysticism accounts for the dichotomy. This is absent from Indic mysticism. It seems that the rose garden and the church at smokefall reconcile the opposites in the mystic manner you describe, which I believe is Eliot's vision of the Incarnation as it applies to practicing Christians, " i.e., conquering" time while being in the body. Diana