I drove to Mozingo lake today (11/14/06) at 11:30 and only saw redheads
and few other ducks, so I headed to Harrison County, but I forgot to ask
Steve his magic word that he uses when he birds that county, so I saw
very few birds The most interesting were high numbers of northern
harriers including several knockout males and a loggerhead shrike.

On the way back I decided to check Mozingo again at 2:30. From the dam I
saw a common loon and a scoter that was close to the Picnic Shelter, so
I drove around and got very close to a beautiful WHITE-WINGED SCOTER.
The birds flushed its wings several times leaving no doubts in its
identity. A boat came by and the bird flew towards the campground. I
drove over there and relocated it close to 4-5 ruddy ducks. I even got
some pictures, which I will send to Patrick to post. I was pretty
pumped. You do not very often get close enough to scoters in Missouri to
take pictures.

Other birds on the lake and around:

Common loon - 1

Horned grebe - 3

Pied-billed grebe

Redhead

Ring-necked duck

Lesser scoup

Ruddy duck

Mallard

Loggerhead shrike - 1

Bob, you were right. Stuff is still coming through, but you forgot to
mention Mozingo in your list of "must-check" sites:-)

Peter

Peter Kondrashov, Ph.D.

Biology Department,

Northwest Missouri State University.

800 University Dr., Maryville, MO 64468

E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>   NEW!