Dear Mobirders:

  Please add 7 Dunlin in winter plumage at Baldwin Lake on the shore of a small pond along the main drive.  There were a couple of Killdeer at the same spot.  I had inadvertently left them out of the original post.

  Jackie Chain

Jackie Chain <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:11:50 -0800
From: Jackie Chain <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: WGNSS Thursday Birding 11-09-06/Illinois birds
To: [log in to unmask]

Birds of note: Rufous Hummingbird, Snow Geese

From the Des Peres parking lot I remembered to check by cell with a Columbia IL birder for info on the female Rufous . He gave me directions and even called the homeowner who had seen the bird this morning. On the loop to 270 South, we saw the first of many Red-tailed Hawks for the day list. This one was being harrassed by a crow.

In Columbia after we consolidated cars, the homeowner came out to meet us. She was very gracious and helpful, but after being banded the hummer had become shy and would not show up at the deck feeder if anyone was on the deck. We watched instead from the steep hillside in the side yard. The hummer did not show up to attempt to feed for about 35 minutes, but eventually became braver and after everyone had reasonable looks, we went on to Baldwin Lake and had lunch. The Snow Geese were not along the drive, but when we returned to the parking lot we scoped hundreds gathered in the water all the way across the lake (including I'm sure a few Ross's). There were Mallards, Downy and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers, Red-winged Blackbirds, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Canada Geese, Cormorants, Bonaparte's Gulls and other common birds at the lake. Turkey Vultures, Am Kestrels and more Red-tailed Hawks made up the raptor sightings.

As leader, I had dawdled too much; and we sacrificed our trip to Peabody to look for loggerhead shrike in order to get back for early afternoon appointments by several of the group. We figured if the Short-eared Owls had been there, they would not be flying around in the 80 degree sunshine of a beautiful November day.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County

* *
* To access the Audubon Society of Missouri Web *
* Site: http://mobirds.org *