From:  Rickard A Parker <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Stream of Consciousness
Date:  Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:39:44 -0500
Diana, the following quotation from Eliot deals with
one
of the voices of poetry:

    In most kinds of writing, it is necessary to
think, for
    what audience are you writing?  In poetry, it is
often
    necessary to forget the audience altogether. There
are
    moments, certainly, when one needs encouragement
to go
    on at all; when we need an audience of one or two
    people who believe in us, arid in whom we believe:
but
    real poetry comes primarily from a pressure inside
us,
    and not from a call from an audience.

On Poetry
An Address by T.S. Eliot on the Occasion of the
Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of Concord Academy
Concord, Massachusetts
June 3, 1947