Dear Peter,

  You're a task-master, indeed!  Not so stern though ;-)

  A little more exploration brought me to the following elucidation at:
  http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/tbacig/hmcl1007/1007anth/eliot.html

  19. Eyes: In the Purgatorio, xxx and xxxi, Beatrice's eyes are a symbol of
spiritual reality -- on which account Dante both longs and dreads to behold
them.

  64. multifoliate rose: Cf. Dante's Celestial Rose made of light, Paradiso,
  XXX 116 --"how vast is the spread of this rose in its outermost leaves."
  The rose is traditionally Christ's emblem (and the Virgin's).

  Regards.

  ~ CR

cr mittal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    Dear Peter: You seem to have in mind what Grover Smith said on this:

    Theirs is the "dream kingdom" where the eyes are but a memory. They
    must invade the "other kingdom," the "twilight kingdom" of actual death,
    which, after further purgatorial trial, may vouchsafe to them, through the
    eyes of pain and joy, a way upward, even to the "multifoliate rose"
    of the final cantos of the Paradiso, to "the perpetual star,"
    a symbol of the Holy Virgin. [emphasis mine]

  It was Beatrice, though, I always associated these images with.
  I'm prompted to go back to the Commedia. Thanks.

  Regards.

  ~ CR

      Any thoughts about these particular lines:

  Sightless, unless
The eyes reappear
As the perpetual star
Multifoliate rose