"Rickard A. Parker" wrote:

> > Peter Montgomery wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know of any recreations in which Eliot engaged.
>
> Well, in his younger years:  birdwatching, boxing, sailing, dancing,
> and music hall visits.  He may have dropped off doing most by his
> mid-thirties but I think sailing was still done when older.  He liked
> Sherlock Holmes and MAY have read other mysteries (murder mysteries I
> should think.)

Whatever affective disorder Eliot suffered from _may_ at irregular
intervals and for varying lengths of time decreased his powers of
concentration but NOT his response to prose style. There has been
throughout the 20th century a good deal of quite well-written crime
fiction -- a godsend to those so affected.

Carrol