Rick, I just read thie section in Bergonzi you recommended. He cites Eliot's review of Wydham Lewis' Tarr in The Egoist in 1918:

"The artist, I believe is more primitive, as well as more civilized, than his contemporaries, his experience is deeper than civilization, and he only uses the phenomena of civilization in expressing it."

Bergonzi also states that Eliot believed that the creative process was irrational and possibly dangerous, but that Eliot had an interest in ways of escaping from a "too literary an understanding of culture."

It took me a while to follow your suggestion, but it was worthwhile! Diana

Rick wrote on   Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:58:33 -0500

During lunch I was doing a little reading in Bernard Bergonzi's
"T.S. Eliot".  Chapter 3, section 1 has a fair bit material on topics
that have been under discussion on the list recently: Eliot's interest
in the primitive and Eliot and impersonality.  Maybe not enough to
search out the book just for that but if you have a copy handy and the
topics interest you then you should check him out.

Regards,
     Rick Parker