>>From: "Selma Erdogdu" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: UVa German Graduate Conference
>>
>>Dear Faculty and Graduate Students,
>>
>>We would like to invite you to our 14th Annual German Graduate
>>Studies Conference entitled: Prophetic Discourse from Amos to
>>Zarathustra: On the Uses and Misuses of Prophecy. Our conference is
>>scheduled for February 23-25, 2007. Our keynote speaker will
>>be Michel Chaouli from Indiana University. We welcome one-page
>>abstracts by January 1, 2007.  Please see the attached call for
>>papers for a detailed description of suggested paper topics. If you
>>have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at the
>>following address:
>><mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] We
>>look forward to hearing from you.
>>
>>Best wishes,
>>
>>Jennifer Hansen and Selma Erdogdu
>>Conference Directors

Call for Papers

Prophetic Discourse from Amos to Zarathustra:
  On the Uses and Misuses of Prophecy

February 23-25, 2007
Submission Deadline: January 1, 2007
14th Annual German Graduate Studies Conference
Sponsored by the Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures and
the Corcoran Department of History of the University of Virginia
Keynote Address: Michael Chaouli

 From the oracles of Delphi and The Matrix to the daily horoscope,
people have sought to know the unknowable and to predict the future.
This conference seeks to address questions concerning the nature and
impact of prophetic discourse. What role has prophecy played in
literature, politics, history, religion, and philosophy? How does
prophetic rhetoric function both in historical and in contemporary
contexts? In our conference we hope to examine these and other
aspects of prophecy, soothsaying, and divination.

We encourage graduate students in all fields to submit abstracts
related to German studies.  Possible topics might include (but are
not limited to) the following:

- The Enlightenment and its disciples		- Writing and
rewriting prophets
- Dreams and prophetic visions		-The prophetic character of
nature and artifacts-the  - Prophecy and the 21st Century
	magic of animals and things
- Science, scientific revolutions, and	- Apocalyptic visions,
totalitarianism and
their impact on world visions			extremism
- Prophecy as a mode of address	- National, literary, and religious
figures as prophets
- Hitler as prophet: Prophecy and		- Prophetic rhetoric
  propaganda					- Oracles and superstition
- Utopia/ dystopia in life and literature	- Literature and fate

Papers will be selected based on compatibility. Presentations should
be no longer than 15-20 minutes. Housing with graduate students will
be provided. Limited travel grants may be awarded. Please submit a
one-page abstract to the conference organizers, Jennifer Hansen,
Selma Erdogdu, and Evangeline Deaton at the following conference
e-mail address: [log in to unmask]

University of Virginia
German Department
    P.O.Box 400125
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4125
Fax: 434-924-6700 (ATTN: Grad Studies Conference)