From 11:10 to 11:25 this morning I had the honor of watching one SANDHILL
CRANE circle overhead in Platte County at Guy B. Park CA.

I was parked by the lake near the restroom and saw what I thought was a
Great Blue Heron fly low over the trees and over my head. I observed some
marks that got me to dancin'...... the long, extended neck, the all-over
light gray coloring, the red crown. Yee-haw!!! A Sandhill Crane!!

The very cooperative SACR (Sandhill Crane) flew in wide, lazy circles over
the lake, then took off to the East. I started the car and raced back to
Hwy 371 N to another parking area for this CA. Bingo. There it was high in
the sky flying in wide, lazy circles again.

I parked and had theater-like views over the beautiful brown conservation
area sign. The sky above the brown sign was the drive-in movie screen and
the crane was the movie star. I was missing the popcorn, but the movie was
free. :)

Last I observed the crane, it had climbed in altitude and was heading SW.

Laura Gilchrist
Platte County, Kansas City

P.S. Trip bird data will be available in Missouri's CACHE database on
http://mobirds.org -- under "Partnerships."