A quick post church drive by the Boardwalk in Winghaven with grumpy husband
and hyper children turned into a mandatory bird walk when I saw the air
filled with "ducks"  that were not present when I visited last Sunday.

Today (10/15/06):
60  - 3 groups of Mallards at approx 20 each
100 - large spread of what I think is American Wigeon 100ish
      they kept their distance and were easily spooked

I am going to take a shot at it again in the morning to be certain.

A different feeling in the air today in general - (Am Robin, Starling, ETS,)
backyard birds in much greater numbers and much noisier than usuall.

Last Sunday (10/8/06) I saw:
a couple thousand Grackles in the swampy area
100ish Yellow Rumped Warblers
2 Wood Ducks (down from the usuall 20 - 30 pairs)
No Mallards
1 great egret
Not a Cedar Wax Wing in sight!

I have not noticed anyone mention visiting the boardwalk.  It is my
favorite place to go because it is so close and feels so safe and open and
I can appease my children with a trip to the library as a bribe.  I have
had some amazing close ups with the birds there.

Becca Secor
O'Fallon, MO