For those looking for the Red Knot tomorrow:
Bean Lake is located in the northwest corner of Platte County, MO. (Page 26 of DeLorme Atlas). From Hwy. 45/273, turn west on Swamp Rd. (Swamp Rd. is the first gravel road heading west, north of the Iatan Power Plant) Stay straight on Swamp Rd. at the 3-way intersection about 1 mile from Hwy. 45. Swamp Rd. becomes S. Shore Rd. at this point. Go another mile or less and the southern tip of Bean Lake will be visible on the right. Have lens caps handy, due to vigorous dusting by passing vehicles. Hopefully, the shorebirds will be out of the vegetation tomorrow morning.
P.S. I was hearing a strangely familiar, two-parted "creek, creek" vocalization at dusk. I knew the call, but couldn't remember what it was. After listening to CD's, I think I was hearing a Western Grebe! Be on the lookout...
Good Luck!
Doug Willis
Kansas City, MO
P.P.S. Little Bean Marsh Natural Area can be reached by going north on Hwy. 45 from Swamp Rd. and taking the second left (there is a small sign) into Little Bean Marsh CA. Follow this gravel road until it ends at the trailhead into the natural area. Oh, and I hope to see "Red Knot-YES, not Red Knot-KNOT" posts tomorrow!!