I forgot to mention in my post about the Sparrows at Pershing Park that I am pretty sure I saw a Ruffed Grouse there yesterday. While walking near the overgrown levee trail North of hyw 36 I saw a grey chicken sized bird fly off. It didn't get over 2-3 feet above the ground and I could see a dark band at the end of a fan shaped tail. I have never seen or heard one there before or of anyone else finding them at Pershing, so was quite a surprise!  I don't know where it would have come from unless some one has stocked some in the area. I know there used to be some on private land just west of Chillicothe. Not sure if they are still there?
    Several years ago I was shocked to see a Greater Praire Chicken on the shoulder of 36 about 9 miles west of Pershing. I reported it to the local MDC office and found out that some of the birds had been released nearby by private individuals. There are some hunting clubs around Pershing so I guess that is a possibilty as to where the RUGR might have come from. Anyway there is always something out there to keep things interesting!

  Later, Steve Kinder
   Chillicothe, Livingston Co.