Last night I attended the home opener for the St Louis hockey team.  I have also attended many baseball games at the new stadium and kept a mental checklist of birds sighted which reached 10 confirmed species and few others.  Although entertaining, none I would consider "out of place" for such an environment.  Do enjoy seeing the swifts often at eye level where I sat at.

  Regarding hockey, at the old arena where the Blues played we often saw 1-5 pigeons flying around inside the arena that often coming down to ice level for a drink when the ice was resurfaced before the water froze.  So far at the new arena I have not seen any birds inside until last night.  After the second period ended, a bird flew up toward me and passed about 40 feet in front of me.  Of course the first thought was the pigeons finally got in the building, but when I could see the profile the bill was excessively long.  I then realize either a American Woodcook or a Wilson's Snipe had just flown past!

  That definitely was the highlight of the night (until we came back late in the game to win :)).

  Steve Griffaw
  St Charles Mo