My most interesting encounter with a Northern Goshawk (a species which I
have seen in 8 states) occurred in Wyoming in May, 1973. I was in a high
area where the Laramie Plains lead up to the Snowy Mountain range. My
attention was attracted to an aerial conflict between two hawks nearly
overhead. One was an adult Northern Goshawk carrying a Blue Grouse. The
other was a Swainson's Hawk, which evidently had just taken some sort of
swipe at the goshawk..

I don't remember exactly what happened, but the goshawk dropped the Blue
Grouse, which landed almost at my feet. I needed (and still need) Blue
Grouse for my life list. The grouse was still warm, and I hoped for a brief
moment that it would struggle enough so that I could put it on my list.
Unfortunately, the grouse lacked a head. My personal listing criteria does
not allow me to count headless birds, even if their body temperatures are
high enough to indicate very recent life. Despite many subsequent efforts
and missed opportunities, I still need Blue Grouse.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri