Commiserations, Edge!

If it makes you feel any better, Gray Johnson and I also circumnavigated but
did not find the dam at all, much less the grebe, on our first visit to
Weatherby Lake. On our second attempt, we were armed with a Mapquest and
emailed directions from Laura Gilchrist.

On our first trip, impelled by desperation, we went past "Private" and "No
Trespassing" signs to the end of  a sort of promontory along side of which
were moored various water craft. Seeing nothing of interest at the tip, we
retreated quickly before the long arm of the law arrived.

When we finally did find the dam on our second attempt, we parked on the
gravel shoulder of the dam and began to search for the grebe. In short
order, an unmarked police car, driven by a uniformed officer wearing three
Sergeant's stripes, pulled up beside us. The sergeant asked what we were
doing. I replied that we were "looking for a bird."  The sergeant promptly
smiled, gave us a thumbs up sign and drove off.

It did take us quite a while to find the grebe -- although it was right
there in plain sight when we did find it.

I now regret passing the "Private" and "No Trespassing" signs and am glad we
did not encounter the sergeant under circumstances, which might have changed
his attitude toward birders. So long as we birders behave ourselves, I do
believe we can park on the gravel shoulder of the dam -- at least when the
sergeant is on duty.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri