Dear Herder scholars (et alia),

For the 2007 GSA Meeting, I would like to organize a panel on "Herder's Children." I am writing you to solicit a paper title and short proposal. (Inquiries and expressions of interest are also welcome, but I have to submit something concrete by 15 Feb 07.)

As Hans-Heino Ewers already made clear a few years ago, in his study Kindheit als poetische Daseinsform, the concept of childhood is very important to many aspects of Herder's thought. But I think it deserves further exploration; hence this panel.

Possible meanings of "Herder's Children" may include, but are not limited to:
     - Herder's use of childhood as an historical trope ("die Kindheit des Menschengeschlechts")
     - Herder's interest in infants' and childrens' minds (Vom Erkennen und Empfinden, Viertes kritisches Waeldchen, u.a.)
     - Herder's libretto for J. C. Bach's cantata, Die Kindheit Jesus
     - Herder's statements on children's language acquisition (Sprachschrift)
     - Herder's pedagogical addresses

Please send me proposals or inquiries before the end of 2006. Also, please forward this call for papers to anyone you deem appropriate.

Thank you!

Anthony Krupp