Dianne and I checked on the progress of the corn harvest in the vicinity of the swallow roosting area on the way home from Thomas Hill today.  No more has been done there so I am pretty sure they are using the same field. This is on Kaye road on the west side of YY one mile South of Chariton/Linn Co. line.Unfortunately this does not give the best viewing as they are quite aways from the road and North of it. Even on a clear night the light is not as good as looking West, making visibility more difficult. Hopefully this will change for the better as the season progresses. Will continue to update this situation.

   There were a fair number of Tree and Barn Swallows feeding over the fields when we were there. Watched a flock of 1000+ [ Di thought more like 2000] Brown-headed Cowbirds along the levee on Kaye road.  Saw a couple of Northern Harriers - still no males yet - cruising around. Song, Swamp, and Savannah Sparrows along Ranch road, the dirt road going south from Kaye. We stopped and watched a Coyote coming towards us on this road. It came within about 25 ft. before veering off into the field to go around my Jeep. It looked good and healthy, think this was just it's route and we were just an obstacle to go around on the way. I took a really good look at this animal and confirmed my belief that the one we saw cross the runway strip at Lake of the Ozarks State Park Sunday was not pure Coyote but crossed with a domestic dog. These are sometimes called Coy-dogs.

  We had close views of Deer, Turkeys, and a Groundhog on the way through Pershing Park. Saw several species of shorebirds in pool on north side of 36 there. including LB Dowitchers, Snipe, Semi-palm Plovers, Peeps, Pecs, and both Yellowlegs.

   Later, Steve