No new fall species to report unless Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker?  Rose Ann Bodman had seen one earlier this week at TGP.

  Starting at the Gaddy Garden didn't take long.  Paul and Sue discovered why...a large immature Cooper's Hawk was standing guard and swooping down for an occasional snack (squirrel, we hope).  In the area were a Red-bellied Woodpecker, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, a couple of Brown Thrashers.

  We adjourned to the Cypress Circle, dodging another Cooper's Hawk near Jack Van's pond.  At last, a midi-fallout predominantly Black-throated Green and Chestnut-sided (at least one still had some chestnut on his side).  Also present were Black and White, Tennessee, Magnolia, a possible Bay-breasted, Nashville, Am Redstart.  There were a few flycatchers--unidentified empids, E Phoebe, a pair of Downy Woodpeckers, chickadees.  Chimney Swifts zipped overhead as the others were zipping between trees. We couldn't arrive at any total bird numbers, because of the constant shifting of birds and birders.  A quick re-check back at the Gaddy Garden only flushed the Coopers again.

  Per a request, we stopped briefly at "Nichols' " Pond near Bend Rd and Illinois 203.  No shorebirds, not even a Killdeer, just a Great Egret and a Great Blue Heron.  Either a raptor had scared them all away or they had migrated out.  On to lunch at Riverlands where the wind had increased considerably. Dick Coles found the White-fronted Goose was still in Teal Pond. There were a few Am White Pelicans and DC Cormorants, an Am Kestrel, some Turkey Vultures aloft, two Turkeys on IL 143.  The great hawkwatch sky wasn't producing any hawks.  One car of birders was going to check RMBS before they left for home.

  Three cars went on to Edwardsville's Watershed Nature Center.  The staff reported a visit by an Osprey daily for the last few days (they have had a nest platform there for several years, so maybe it will serve its purpose at last).  It was a pleasant walk and out of the wind.  Cardinals and a flock of Cedar Waxwings were giving a tree loaded with berries a going-over and the woods echoed with Goldfinch song.  There were a pair of Canada Geese, a few Mallards, some Pied-billed Grebes and Wood Ducks in their orangey fall plumage on the small lake and Killdeer on the shore.  An explosion of 6 Wilson's Snipe was a pleasant surprise for us. Back on shore, we came on a small feeding flock- Tennessee, Nashville, Am Redstart, Magnolia, Chestnut-sided Warblers, Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, a flycatcher or two and a Carolina Wren to round out the afternoon.

  Birds not noted today were thrushes other than Am Robins, sparrows, Ovenbirds.  Starlings, swallow species, Mourning Doves were present but not counted.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County