We went up the Mississippi along route 79 today.  The Ketterman sod farms produced a good number of Buff-breasted Sandpipers to start the day.  A stop at Windfield Dam showed a little mud, but only a few shorebirds, a Solitary, a Pectoral, and three Least.  The sandbar had Caspian and Black Terns besides gulls and cormorants.    The Kings Lake part of B.K. Leach was not very birdy almost nothing was singing, so we continued on to Bittern Basin.  There was not much action there either, but at Prairie Slough while eating lunch we had at least 15 butterfly species in the parking lot including a couple of Snout Butterflies which are quite rare in the area.  From there we went to Clarrence Cannon  It was very dry, but we heard good numbers of Sedge Wren and one sat up very nicely for good scope views.  Thanks to Charlene who told us where to look in the short grass field at the back of the refuge we had little trouble finding three of the Sandhill Cranes for a great finish to a fine day.

David Becher
Saint Louis